31 October 2019
The ICLR is a legal charity that was set up in 1865 to publish law reports of the judicial decisions of the Superior and Appellate Courts in England and Wales.
The law reporter’s role is to write the law reports which are then published by the ICLR.
- Attending hearings of potentially reportable cases in the Royal Courts of Justice or elsewhere in order to take notes of legal argument and ex tempore judgments
- Reading judgments in order to decide whether of sufficient importance to be reported
- Writing clear notes on judgments in order to enable team manager to decide if requiring further reporting
- Indexing judgments which do not require further reporting
- Writing clear, accurate and concise case summaries of more important judgments
- Liaising with manager and other members of court team to ensure all courts and judgments are covered
- Covering for other members of court team during absence or as otherwise required
- Drafting full reports for publication in The Weekly Law Reports, The Industrial Cases Reports, The Business Law Reports and The Public and Third Sector Reports
- Editing judgments to be reported so as to put them into ICLR style and correct errors
- Proof-reading proofs of reports
- Communicating with judges and judges’ clerks concerning judges’ approval of law report proofs
- Drafting notes of legal argument for publication in The Law Reports
Competencies and Experience
- Member of the Bar of England and Wales, or solicitor on the roll of solicitors in England and Wales
- Ability to understand and analyse complex legal judgments
- Excellent written English
- Ability to express both factual and legal concepts clearly, concisely and accurately
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work to schedules, managing and prioritising large volumes of varied work to meet deadlines
- Self-starter, able to work autonomously as well as part of a team
- Computer literate
Team manager, other reporters, sub-editors, the Editor, desk editors and Electronic Production Group.
Counsel, instructing solicitors, judges’ clerks, judges and other court reporters.
How to apply
To apply, please send a covering letter and CV to email@example.com by 29 May 2019.