ICLR Pupillage Award
If you are taking up pupillage in Autumn 2022, paid a total for the pupillage year of no more than £30,000 (including guaranteed earnings), you could receive our top-up award of a further £13,000.
In recognition of the difficulties faced by many talented individuals during pupillage, the ICLR currently awards an annual bursary worth £13,000 in direct financial assistance to a pupil during the course of their 12 month pupillage in Chambers. The award was founded to mark ICLR’s 150th anniversary in 2015 and the first award was made the following year.
The application process
1. Initial application round
- The first step in the application process is to complete the application form.
- The form asks for information about your finances and why you feel you need financial assistance to support you during pupillage.
- We believe that by virtue of having secured pupillage, all candidates will have passed a rigorous interview process and have an excellent academic background. Accordingly, we will not ask you to provide us with a CV.
- We ask you to supply two short pieces of writing in order to demonstrate your intellectual merit.
- We also ask you for the details of a referee. We may contact your referee if we require more information about you.
2. Shortlisting and headnote drafting exercise
- Based on the forms submitted by applicants, we will draw up a shortlist of six candidates.
- The shortlisted candidates will then be asked to write a headnote based on an unreported judgment that we will supply. We expect all candidates to have a solid understanding of the content and structure of a law report.
3. Selecting the winner
- The final selection of the winning candidate will be made by the judging panel: Margaret Bowron QC, Mr Justice Roth and Brendan Wright (Editor, ICLR).
- The final decision will be based on a combined evaluation of the headnote and the short written pieces supplied in the initial application round.
- The winning candidate will be notified in early August 2022.
- The award will be based on a combination of financial need and merit.
- The award is made irrespective of the core practice areas of the set hosting your pupillage.
- To be eligible to apply for this award, your pupillage must not commence sooner than 1 April 2022 and no later than 1 December 2022.
- You must have a confirmed offer of pupillage at the time you make your application for the award and we will ask you to provide evidence of a confirmed offer during the application process.
- The total value of the pupillage award being made to you by the set of chambers hosting your pupillage must not exceed £30,000 (including guaranteed earnings).
- The application window opens on 1 March 2022 and closes on 31 May 2022.
- The award will be paid to the winning candidate in two payments of £6,500. If your pupillage follows the standard timetable and commences in the autumn of 2022, the first payment will be made at the commencement of the first six months, the second will be made at the commencement of the second six.
If your pupillage commences before 1 October 2022, the first half of the award will be paid in October 2022 and the second half of the award will be paid in April 2023.