Desk/Copy and Production Editor
How to apply
To apply, please send a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is 16 October 2020.
The ICLR is a charity that was set up in 1865 to publish law reports of the judicial decisions of the Superior and Appellate Courts in England and Wales.
The primary role of this position is to provide coded and corrected judgment transcripts to ICLR Reporters and then to check the accuracy of proofs of reports produced by the Reporters.
- Production of working copy judgments
- Source and download judgment transcripts and keep records of the cases ordered and their progress through the publishing process
- Format and markup transcripts to produce valid XML judgments
- Check the accuracy of all citations and quotations, from cases and other materials, in each judgment
- Upload and maintain cases and their records on the [Content Management System],
- Check the hard-copy proofs of reports prior to publication, having particular regard to the accuracy of all quotations and citations
- Prepare the cover and preliminary indexing material for each (monthly or weekly) part of the publication and for the annual volumes
- Take all corrections onto the final XML electronic version of the report and dispatching it electronically to the printers
- Record Keeping and Reporting
- Maintain records of transcripts ordered and their progress through the production process
- Provide regular reports of status of transcript requests and processing
Other tasks to be undertaken as required
- First line technical support to editors and reporters for publishing systems
- Any other responsibilities or work as determined by Electronic Publishing Group (EPG) Team Manager or members of the ICLR Senior Management Team
Competencies and Experience
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work to schedules, managing and prioritising large volumes of varied work to meet production deadlines
- ability to manage and work effectively with a variety of information relating to case reports and their progress throughout the publishing process
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to interface in a professional manner with a variety of both internal and external parties to the publishing process
- Problem solving skills
- Self-starter, able to work autonomously as well as part of a team
- Clear oral and written communication
Experience and Skills
- Proficiency in using MS Windows operating system and its basic concepts
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (MS Word and Excel) and Adobe Acrobat
EPG Manager, EPG team, the Editor, team leaders, editors, desk editors and reporters.
Transcript suppliers, typesetters